The Garden is a nonprofit community horticulture foundation. There are docent led tours for groups of 8 or more with advance notice.
The museum is surrounded by historic gardens.
Created on-site at Stanford by artists from Papua New Guinea, the garden contains wood and stone carvings of people, animals, and magical beings that illustrate clan stories and creation myths. They have free docent-led tours the third Sunday of each month at 2 PM rain or shine.
The Garden was designed for Jane and Leland Stanford by landscape architect Rudolf Ulrich between 1881 and 1883. Selections from the Cacti family include columnar, barrel and monstrose forms. Selections of succulents include Aloes, Crassulas and rosette forming Agaves.